The cornerstone for St. John’s was set in 1879 and was consecrated in 1884, debt-free. In 1967, St. John’s in Clifton Springs, St. John's in Phelps, and Trinity Mission in Shortsville were merged into one parish – St. John’s in Clifton Springs. Today we serve the villages of Clifton Springs, Phelps, Shortsville, and Manchester.
St. John’s is led by part-time clergy. Lay people in the parish have stepped up to the task of keeping the parish operating and growing. During the past 15 years many improvements have been made to the building. It is now completely handicap- accessible, has a new roof, the interior has been repainted and carpeted. Several of the stained glass windows have been repaired by Pike Stained Glass Studios Incorporated, located in Rochester, New York.
The exterior masonry of the building was recently repaired and sealed. As is true with any building of this age, there is always more to do. People of the parish have been very generous and supportive in maintaining and preserving the structure for future generations without incurring debt. The work continues!
St. John’s installed a concrete bench in memory of a beloved parishioner that has a wonderful view of downtown Clifton Springs. Many people in the community use to the bench to rest, sit in the shade, or just enjoy the view. We also have two picnic tables with umbrella on our grounds and are inviting our neighborhood to stop by and use it. It is our way of continuing to be a welcoming presence in our community.
Today, St. John's is a welcoming, inclusive, joyful and supportive parish. New members have said that their main reason for joining St. John’s was the friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We place a great deal of value on spiritual seeking, on reading and studying the Bible, and on worshiping God in community.